There is nothing that I love more than music with good lyrics, whether they are describing how I'm feeling or just plain funny. If a song doesn't have good lyrics, the beat can only do so much. So I drove round-trip 20 hours in the car by myself in the last few days with a dead iPod and only one really good CD. Finally, I really could focus on the lyrics of my favorite songs for the summer. Holly tells me that I take lyrics to literally. I can't help it. It's in my nature, I suppose. Remember "Four Minutes?" Anyway, these are some of my comments on the lyrics of some of my favorite summer songs:
New Kids on the Block (Finally!) "Summertime"
Lyric: "Hey girl can I get your number? I remember what you told me, too. Not to call after 10, but I did 'cause I couldn't stop thinkin' bout you."
I'm proud of this girl for setting standards. My mom always tells me that when boys call late, he only wants one thing. She never did tell me what it is....
Lyric: "...as long as we was together."
Just out of spite, I sing this line the grammatically correct way... "as long as we were together." Some artists use artistic license with grammar for a better flow or meaning. Really, this doesn't change the meaning or flow at all. Would it have been so hard to make it grammatically correct?
Estelle ft. Kanye West "American Boy"
Dear Kanye: Buy this chick a map of the US. Make her plan out an itinerary ahead of time. She clearly has no concept of how big the country is and is clueless of the geographical locations of our large cities. If you really have to go from Chicago to San Francisco to New York, Miami and LA in that order, you're wasting a lot of travel time. XOXO.
Carrie Underwood "Last Name"
Lyric: "I'm not sure how I got here and this ring on my left hand just appeared[...] They say what happens here stays here. All of this will disappear... there's just one problem.... I don't even know my last name..."
Chances are that if you just woke up married after a crazy night in Vegas, your last name would still be the same. The changing of your last name is not part of the wedding ceremony. Once you get home, you can easily find out who you're married to and get that annulled. Even Britney figured that out. Next time be more responsible, please.
New Kids on the Block (Finally!) "Summertime"
Lyric: "Hey girl can I get your number? I remember what you told me, too. Not to call after 10, but I did 'cause I couldn't stop thinkin' bout you."
I'm proud of this girl for setting standards. My mom always tells me that when boys call late, he only wants one thing. She never did tell me what it is....
Lyric: "...as long as we was together."
Just out of spite, I sing this line the grammatically correct way... "as long as we were together." Some artists use artistic license with grammar for a better flow or meaning. Really, this doesn't change the meaning or flow at all. Would it have been so hard to make it grammatically correct?
Estelle ft. Kanye West "American Boy"
Dear Kanye: Buy this chick a map of the US. Make her plan out an itinerary ahead of time. She clearly has no concept of how big the country is and is clueless of the geographical locations of our large cities. If you really have to go from Chicago to San Francisco to New York, Miami and LA in that order, you're wasting a lot of travel time. XOXO.
Carrie Underwood "Last Name"
Lyric: "I'm not sure how I got here and this ring on my left hand just appeared[...] They say what happens here stays here. All of this will disappear... there's just one problem.... I don't even know my last name..."
Chances are that if you just woke up married after a crazy night in Vegas, your last name would still be the same. The changing of your last name is not part of the wedding ceremony. Once you get home, you can easily find out who you're married to and get that annulled. Even Britney figured that out. Next time be more responsible, please.
1 comment:
I thought the same thing about the Carrie Underwood one!
Post a Comment