Thursday, October 2, 2008

Investment Opportunity


Dear Madam Speaker,

Invest in a dictionary.

Love,
Kathleen






So I finally got around to listening to the speech Pelosi gave right before the big House vote on Monday. When talking about the Great Depression she said (somewhere around the 2 min mark):
...the Great Depression. I don't know what was so great about it. It was pretty lousy. I don't know why they called it great!
Umm...... I don't think they were using "Great" as a synonym for "Fabulous" or "Awesome" here. In fact, there are several definitions of the word "Great," and any number of the following could be the actual meaning in the context of the Great Depression:
  1. unusually or comparatively large in size or dimensions
  2. unusual or considerable in degree, power, intensity, etc.
  3. being such in an extreme or notable degree
  4. important; highly significant or consequential
  5. distinguished; famous
  6. of considerable duration or length
(definitions from dictionary.com)

No comments: