Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Setting the Record Straight

I don't know how to go about this. I usually try to shy away from this type of discussion if not asked directly, but the media are making that impossible... so I might as well set the record straight.

I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I have been most of my life. I love my church and the message of God that it shares with the world. We are Christian, if you define Christian as believers and followers of Christ. We believe in the Bible (as long as it is translated correctly) and we also believe in the Book of Mormon, which is a companion to the Bible. The Book of Mormon is another testament of Jesus Christ; a witness of Christ in the Americas.

At one point in time, Mormons practiced polygamy. The practice was abolished over 100 years ago... get over it. The polygamist Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ is in no way, shape or form associated with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The news media are referring to the fundamentalist church as a "Mormon Sect," which is not true. There are not sects or factions of the LDS church. You are either Mormon or you're not, it's that easy! Think of it this way... if I were to decide one day to start a church and call it the "Fundamentalist Catholic Church," I have no more association with the Catholic church than the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has with the actual, true Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

In our very Articles of Faith, it states, "We believe in being subject to kings, presidents, rulers, magistrates in obeying, honoring and sustaining the law." We do not practice polygamy, dress funny or live on huge compounds. My father has one wife and we live a house a lot like yours. Look around, I bet you have more Mormon neighbors than you think!

I do have a testimony of a loving Heavenly Father and His true Church upon the earth (a testimony that I'm eager to share when asked). For more information about the Mormons, click here!

No comments: