While Ruthie was in the NICU, I accumulated a freezer full of extra milk. And then it out-grew the freezer in our kitchen and we had to buy an extra freezer. So by the time she came home, that freezer was full, too! About 2 months ago, I looked into donating our extra milk. There is no way that I was going to be able to use all of that before it went bad. So, about 2 weeks ago, I got an email that I was approved and could start dropping off milk! Last week, Steve and I labeled it all with my donor # and packed it all up! We had TWO coolers full of milk!
So we dropped it all off at the closest location (a hospital with a 45-bed NICU! That's huge! Our NICU had 6 beds and an overflow. Plus, this hospital's parking situation was ridiculous. It really made me appreciate our hospital!). I was really disappointed that we didn't count how many ounces that we donated!
Now, our chest freezer looks like this:
There is actually room for food! Plus, we still have lots of milk that I couldn't donate (milk has to be free from medicines... and although I could nurse on an antibiotic, I can't donate it).
Yesterday, I got this email:
630 ounces! That is crazy! That is almost 5 GALLONS of milk! I love knowing that milk is going to needy babies instead of going bad in my freezer! I want to add an extra 370 to this and make it an even 1,000 ounces by September! I better get back to pumping!
If you are nursing a baby under 1 year and have extra milk, check out the Mother's Milk Bank! Even if you don't live in the area, you can send it in!
(PS- I'm not a crazy hippie... but having two preemies, I know the importance that breast milk plays in the growth and overall health of nicu babies!)





No comments:
Post a Comment