Monday, November 10, 2008

Yet Another Break-Up Notice

Dear Perez,

It's not you--well, wait. Actually, it is. You've gotten a little too political for me in the last few weeks over this whole Prop 8 deal. The insane Mormon-bashing is what really pushed us over the edge. 2%: That's the population of LDS people in California. It is ridiculous to say so many hateful things about one religion when so many (both religious and not) contributed to this cause. Catholics, Evangelicals, Protestants, Orthodox Jews, and Muslims all supported Yes on 8. Do you dare to pick fights with a huge percentage of the American population? Your biggest issue with Proposition 8 is that you find it hateful. Really, it's no more (and maybe even less) hateful than the words I am reading on your page lately. We live in a democracy. The issue was put to a vote of the people and passed 52%-47%. By the way, did I mention that Mormons only make up 2% of California's population?

I guess I've seen this coming for a while but refused to admit it. I'm sorry it has to end this way... I really am. I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavors.

With Love,
Kathleen


9 comments:

Richard and Katy said...

Did you email this to him?? You really should, it's good stuff :)

Anonymous said...

look. i think your religion is totally creepy. probably just as creepy as you find the thought of having sex and relationships with girls. but i don't give money and attention to things that would make your religion illegal. I do not prance around calling it a cult as some people would. i keep my mouth shut and live my own life. i don't even judge you for believing so many things that ensure a heteronormative, patriarchal, racist, classist society. it's your right to believe what you want. and if having a friend who is gay is not enough to make you care if we can have rights, nothing ever will.

i will say this. i don't really give a shit that prop 8 passed. i don't ever want to get married, gay or straight. i'm not going to assimilate to this ridiculous notion of compulsory heterosexuality and monogamy that is daily perpetuated by marriage. but our constitution is clear in the belief that church and state should be totally separate. having the right to marry doesn't infringe on your religious beliefs. not even a little. church marriage and state marriage are separate things. and if some queers want the right to combine assets, raise a child, or visit one another in the hospital, they should be given that right. that's what gay marriage is. we aren't going to line up at the temple to get married by a religious official who calls us depraved.

mormons donated nearly 20 million dollars to no on prop 8. in a time where we are involved in two wars and in the midst of an economic crisis, i find it sickening that the mormon population of this country had an extra 20 MILLION dollars just sitting around and that they decided that taking away other peoples rights with that money was the best way to spend it.

i have stood up for mormons a great deal over the years. i have defended the religion with you in mind i have told people that mormons aren't bad and creepy because i know so many who are such good people.

i was wrong. you are not a good person. you are a spoiled little brat who has no concept of the real world. not everyone is mormon. or any religion.

and on that note. you can break up with perez all you want. you should send him that post alright, as more evidence of how sick and hateful mormons are. we don't want you anyway.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

libbi,
your posts are delightful! thank you!

Kathleen said...

Dear Libbi,

Wow. You've done it again. You've responded to one of my posts with something totally unrelated to my topic. All I said is that I am no longer reading my favorite celebrity gossip blog because I'm tired of having my religion bashed by someone who does not have a clue what he's talking about. You responded by--oh yeah--bashing my religion when you do not have a clue what you're talking about. I didn't want to respond to your ridiculous comment, but you leave me no choice.

First-I dare you to find one thing that would make my religion illegal. You won't find anything. That is a ridiculous accusation and you know it. You know nothing about my religion. The entire time we were friends, you did not ask me a single question. You have never taken an interest in learning about my beliefs. You don't even know enough to have an informed opinion. If you would like to become informed, I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have.

Perhaps you haven't read the Constitution lately, but it prevents Congress from making laws that establish or prohibit the free exercise of religion. It says nothing of the "separation of church and state" in the text and churches are under no obligation to stay out of politics (except in that they are not allowed by statute to endorse specific candidates). This being said, churches are totally permitted to become involved in the political process and my church is very careful in this matter. It occasionally becomes involved when it feels as if an issue will affect our free exercise of religion.

I'm sorry that you don't think that I am a good person. I don't know what else to say on that note. I don't have anything to prove to you. You obviously don’t know me at all and it seems like you never did. Sure, I'm spoiled; I realize that I am. I live in a great country where I am afforded the freedoms that most of the world doesn't enjoy. I have a family that loves me and I have been blessed with great opportunities to further my education. All of those characteristics describe you as well--even if you want to pretend that they don't.

That being said, I do not agree with “VA.” Your posts are not “delightful.” They are mean-spirited and irrelevant. So, you have three options. 1. Call me and we can have a mature discussion. 2. You can continue to pretend that I am the worst person in the world and continue to post it on my blog. (Although I hate to break it to you, the people who read my blog are overwhelmingly on my side, so you’re wasting your time and effort.) 3. You can forget that I exist and stop reading such "hateful" words. The choice is yours.

Warmly,
Kathleen

Anonymous said...

http://ellen.warnerbros.com/2008/11/keith_olbermanns_commentary_on.php

Kathleen said...

Dear Kate,

Once again, this is not what this post is about.

But since you asked (or rather, Keith Olbermann did...), this is what it is to me:

http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,FF.html

Kathleen said...

This has all been good and fun. I'm putting an end to the commentary.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at:

girlwithdirtyfeet (at) gmail (dot) com.