Sunday, November 16, 2008

Phenyl-what?

A typical afternoon of studying goes like this:
10 minutes of studying
Refill (water or Diet Coke)
10 minutes of studying
Potty Break
30 minutes of studying
Check Facebook
Refill (water or Diet Coke)
10 minutes of studying
Potty Break
You get the idea. It's not very productive. My excessive "study thirst" means that I am constantly either refilling my cup or using the bathroom. I just get soooo thirsty when I'm studying. It's a phenomenon that is worth a scientific study or two. Anyway, that's not my real story.

My real story is this: Diet Coke makes me happy. No, it's not just that I like it a lot. It actually makes me happy. Just now, on my walk back from the kitchen (where I grabbed a new can of DC), I read "Phenylketonurics: Contains Phenylalanine." What?! Are those even words? Yes, my friend. Wikipedia told me so! Phenylalanine is an amino acid found naturally in the breast milk of mammals and is rumored to have analgesic and antidepressant effects. It is manufactured for food and drink and also sold as a nutritional supplement.

There you have it.

2 comments:

Holly said...

thank you, science!

Anonymous said...

hahah I love it!! but the whole study for ten drink study for ten potty totally the same thing. And I wonder why i never get any studying done.
Dom
ps still need a blog name