Friday, June 21, 2013

Summer Reading Fun!

George loves to read books!  His favorites these days are anything "Curious George."  Seriously... he can recite "Curious George goes to a Chocolate Factory."  I'm going to record it sometime... but we have to do it secretly.

Anyway, we might as well take advantage of his love of reading.  We are just signing up for any summer reading program we can find!  So, I am passing the information along to you!  I don't know if I am weird, but I just love owning books... and this is a way to build your little one's library for free!

George finished the library summer reading program this week.  Actually, we could have been done the very first week, but I slowed him down.  I decided to keep track of the books that we read to make sure we weren't counting the same book more than once.  I don't know if you have a toddler... but repetition seems to be a theme in our house.  So, we collected our prize.  Lots of coupons for kid's meals (The program was "Reading is Delicious!") and a nice board book.  We chose "Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed" since George loves that rhyme.  Ruthie only has one book left to read and we will pick up her prize this week.

George also finished the Barnes & Noble summer reading program tonight.  Read 8 books and get a free book.  Maybe we will pick up his free book tomorrow.  Ruthie will start this program when she finishes the library program.

I am printing the Pottery Barn Kids reading program log tonight.  There are 14 classic children's books on this list.  I know they think that you are going to spend lots of $$ buying all of these other books, but our library has them all!  So when we pick up Ruthie's summer reading prize, we are going to pick up the books that our library has.

HEB (a grocery store chain) has a program where you read 10 books, fill out a log, send it in and you get a prize.  It asks for your kid's t-shirt size... so that is fun!  But there are rumors that there may be additional prizes, too.

Half-Price Books gives away a $5 gift card if you read 300 minutes in June and July.  In addition, the kids are entered into a drawing for a $20 gift card for each age group.  We are too late to join in for June, but I am going to fill out a reading log for July.

I knew about the first 3 from years past and emails that I got.  I heard about the last two from this list.  There are a few more on that list.

Anyway, maybe I look crazy?  Join me!  Get rewards for something you are doing anyway!  (PS- I am not doubling-up... I am doing the programs one at a time.  We will repeat books, but if we log "Curious George and the Birthday Surprise" for every program, that means that we read it that many times!  And trust me, I think we have read that book a million times already!)

2 comments:

~*Heather*~ said...

You should find a teacher friend and get on her book orders!

Trina said...

How fun! I love that your kids love to read so much! Thanks for all the fun reading ideas! We are doing our local reading program too - but we fill in in a square for each 30 minutes read... and we need to read a total of 15 hours! (Maybe by the time we reach Utah we will be done...) So these other reading programs will be fun to complete at the same time!