Monday, April 1, 2013

Confessions of a Letter-Writer

I'm a letter-writer.  What does this mean?  It means that I write letters when I feel like a company needs to hear what I have to say.  Sometimes it's good stuff... but most of the time, it is because a product let me down.  And more times than not, I never actually write the letter.  My family makes fun of me for this.  Steve actually just made fun of me today for writing letters.  But hey... wouldn't you want the chance to make things right with a customer?  I feel like I am helping them!

Seven years ago (wow--I feel old), I got a flat iron for Christmas.  It was great and I loved it.  Then one day about a year and a half later, the top plate stopped working.  I remembered that it had a warranty.. but I didn't have the receipt or any of the original packaging!  I got online to see what I could do.  I mailed them my broken flat iron with a 3x5 card with my name and address scribbled on it.  Two weeks later, I had a brand new flat iron in my possession.

And I rewarded this great customer service today.  After 5 1/2 years, that replacement flat iron finally bit the dust yesterday.  It was weird because it still felt hot, but it was doing nothing to my hair.  So today, I got online and bought the new version of the same flat iron.  I'm really picky about stuff like this... so I decided that the best bet was to go with what I know!  Plus, I know that their customer service is awesome!  So I will probably have a Jilbere titanium flat iron for life.

Saturday night, Steve and I noticed that our Sonicare was on the fritz.  It was a gift, so once again, I had no purchase information!  We got it almost 2 years ago (this summer).  I got online to see what I could do, and within 20 minutes, a customer service representative filed a claim and we have a new toothbrush coming in 7-10 days!  So, Philips has won a customer for life.

Also on my "great customer service!" list:  Bounce (sent a coupon for "free--any product, any size" when I told them I hated their dryer bar.)

On my "Terrible Customer Service" list:  Rhodes Rolls (said they would send 2 coupons for free bag of rolls--never did.), Tresemme (took so long to respond that I threw away my broken dry shampoo... then months later they said they would replace it, but wanted the broken bottle back), Aveeno (hasn't responded to my email saying that my lotion tube just fell to pieces... it litterally just cracked like a potato chip every time I put lotion on G).

3 comments:

~*Heather*~ said...

I do the same thing! Found a dead spider in our ready to eat spinach, got like 6 free coupons and 6 50%off, wrote a supplement company and got tons of free samples! I'll have to do tresseme too because my dry shampoo also broke and i somehow got it to work....lol. You're not the only letter writer!

Anonymous said...

You should add Lacroix sparkling water to the Naughty List. After buying a 12-pack that was completely flat and seemed to have been mixed wrong, they promised to send me coupons for two new 12-packs of any flavor and two years later I'm still waiting!

Trina said...

That's awesome!!! I always think up the letter and what I will say but I never get around to writing it...

I did get my $1.25 from the local air pump when it still didn't work and Chevron said all I could do was call the number - I left a message and forgot about it so I had to really think about why there was this dollar and a quarter in the mail for me... I was super impressed they sent it though!