I went to Target today. I'm always hesitant about going to this particular Target because I used to work there briefly... and I don't want to feel obligated to talk to people. In fact, on days when I want to just run in and run out, or not talk, I usually drive the extra 10 minutes to go to the next-closest store. Terrible, I know. Today wasn't bad. I ran into a manager that I really like who has a baby 2 months older than George. Then I ran into a manager that I'm surprised even remembered me. I passed her and she said, "HI! I didn't know you had a baby!!" We talked about George and she told me how cute he is... and then as we were walking away, she said, "I'll never forget you. I'll never forget the time I made you cry!"
I smiled and walked away... trying to remember what had happened. Then I told George, "WAIT A MINUTE! She didn't just make me cry! SHE LOCKED ME IN THE STORE BY MYSELF!!!" Yes, she did. I was closing Guest Services right around Christmas-time. It was a mess and taking me forever. She called for everyone to leave, but I was in the stock room sorting the trash from the broken and hazardous. My walkie didn't work back there. I went up to the front, grabbed my things, called Steve, and pushed on the door... it didn't open. I pushed again... nope. I walked out and said, "Hello??" It took me about 5 minutes to find someone working the over-night... and another minute to find someone who spoke English. The over-night manager all but accused me of locking myself in so that I could steal. I was so shaken that I talked to the HR manager and asked that the managers all make sure that the Guest Service person leaves with everyone else. I wasn't crying because I was hurt... I was crying because I was so mad.
Then I went to the deli where a lady said, "You look great for just having had a baby!!" I said, "Thanks!" And then I thought.... what if this wasn't my baby? What if I was just babysitting? That's a ballsy thing to say. But I did just have a baby... so it made me feel darn good about myself! Which is a huge step in the right direction after the worker at Whataburger asking me, "what are you having? When are you due?" a few days after George was born...
I smiled and walked away... trying to remember what had happened. Then I told George, "WAIT A MINUTE! She didn't just make me cry! SHE LOCKED ME IN THE STORE BY MYSELF!!!" Yes, she did. I was closing Guest Services right around Christmas-time. It was a mess and taking me forever. She called for everyone to leave, but I was in the stock room sorting the trash from the broken and hazardous. My walkie didn't work back there. I went up to the front, grabbed my things, called Steve, and pushed on the door... it didn't open. I pushed again... nope. I walked out and said, "Hello??" It took me about 5 minutes to find someone working the over-night... and another minute to find someone who spoke English. The over-night manager all but accused me of locking myself in so that I could steal. I was so shaken that I talked to the HR manager and asked that the managers all make sure that the Guest Service person leaves with everyone else. I wasn't crying because I was hurt... I was crying because I was so mad.
Then I went to the deli where a lady said, "You look great for just having had a baby!!" I said, "Thanks!" And then I thought.... what if this wasn't my baby? What if I was just babysitting? That's a ballsy thing to say. But I did just have a baby... so it made me feel darn good about myself! Which is a huge step in the right direction after the worker at Whataburger asking me, "what are you having? When are you due?" a few days after George was born...
2 comments:
What a walk down memory lane. I'm glad it was a good one! :)
That chick at Whataburger had her nerve.........just sayin'.....
Post a Comment