Monday, January 17, 2011

Love This Booger!



Story time. I've been reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block." At one point, it said something about how right now, our baby cries when he needs something--he's tired, hungry, cold, wet, etc. The book says that right now, our baby won't cry to be "manipulative" and hasn't learned cause/effect (that crying makes us come to him).

WRONG. The book is wrong... or we may have the world's only manipulative newborn.

I made the mistake of putting the baby into bed with me in the mornings after Steve left for work. We would cuddle until I was ready to get out of bed. This was no big deal at first. Then my dad came to visit and held George every waking hour. This was also no big deal. Well, once my dad left, George still wanted to be held all the time... this was also no big deal until he decided that this was something that he didn't only want during the day--he wanted to be held at night, too. I would hold him until he fell asleep and then put him in his bassinet. Without fail, he will now cough, hack, and whimper until I pick him up. Well, the only way I can sleep is to let him sleep in bed with us. I'm afraid that I've created a bad situation for all involved. Every night, I say, "tonight is the night. He has to fall asleep eventually." And because it breaks my heart to hear him whimper, I pick him up within 7 minutes. This is going to be a hard habit to break.

He's lucky that he's so darn cute... because he sure is a booger!

Just to Clarify: I'm not complaining! I love snuggling with my baby! If that's what he likes and needs, we're happy to do it! We just think that it's funny that he has learned to work the system so early! He really does know just what to do to get us to rescue him from his bassinet!

3 comments:

Katrina said...

he is not manipulative. he's a baby! why wouldn't he want to sleep all cozy next to his mama? he spent 9 months all cozied up inside you, so don't expect him to want to be alone now. They are tiny babies for so little time. Just enjoy snuggling him and don't worry about "training" him. Before long he'll be running around and you'll miss the snuggle time you get now.

Here's a post I wrote when Asher was 9 months old that sums up my feelings about parenting babies: http://redheadmusings.blogspot.com/2009/04/9-months-in-9-months-out.html

Trina said...

Haha! So cute!!! He loves you!!!

Anonymous said...

What a tiring compliment that he wants to be near you all the time! I completely understand what you mean. Just wait till he gets older. For the past 2 hours, I have been trying to get Ike to go to bed...Of course, he has something else in mind :)