Wednesday, October 16, 2013

State Fair of Texas

ME:  Can I sleep here?  (pretending to be asleep on George's back)
G:  Mommy!  No!  I am not a pillow!

We went to the State Fair of Texas.  Hopefully this will be our last fair-season here.  Fair grounds seem to be in terrible neighborhoods... have you noticed?  Like, there was a sign up that said "Entire Block for Sale" just a few blocks away.  And I saw someone get arrested in the middle of the street.  I thought she was naked, but Steve told me she was wearing flesh-colored-leggings.  I still swear I saw a hiney.

Anyway, we had a lot of fun and the kids were so good!  They didn't get any sleep and didn't eat much, but they were both SO well behaved.  Maybe that is the secret?  I kid, I kid!  It was nice and overcast for the first few hours and rained for a little at the end.  The temperature really dropped by the time we left!  I didn't eat anything fried.  I felt a little sick from chugging a Dr Pepper so that we could get in for $5 (if you brought a can, you got a discount).  Our favorite parts were the Dallas Library's Mother Goose Story Time, petting zoo, and car show.  I entered to win a car at the Toyota exhibit.  I also entered to win a $45k credit at the Chrysler exhibit.  Steve made fun of me... but I am determined to win a mini-van!  You can't win if you don't enter, right??  So far this year I have won two giveaways... it's my lucky year!  I got this!  We also got some awesome toffee!  Mmmm.  And we learned about bees... which interested Steve more than it should have and quite frankly, that makes me nervous.  I am not interested in keeping bees.  

My least favorite part was walking around with wet shoes.... or the fact that I forgot to change Ruthie's diaper and she peed all over us while she was in the Ergobaby all day.  She was just so content that I didn't even think about it.  Poor second child.  When I put her in the car seat, I looked down and saw my shirt was soaking wet.  I smelled it and it was definitely not rain water.  Another least favorite part was that G wanted to win a minion and the lady told us it would take a total of 4 games.  That's $20!!  No way!  So we dealt with a grumpy child all down the midway.

Here are some pictures from our fun day!

George & Mother Goose.  She had to scoot toward him for this shot!

George & the baby giraffe! ("ga-raf" as G says)

As close as G got to feeding the animals.

He was afraid of the camel, so he stood behind Steve and peeked his head out!

Two baby goats play-fighting.  This was just too stinking cute!
(Note:  It's not as cute when my baby humans do this)

Feeding a baby camel.  Slightly less intimidating.

Riding a kiddie-tractor

He liked this more than he should have for a city boy!

He talked about seeing an alligator all day and was totally excited when we found this statue.  Weirdo.

He loved sitting in the cars and I am sure the employees cringed every time my soaking-wet toddler climbed all over the seats with his wet shoes on.
Oh yeah, Steve & G did the "Doomsday Preppers" obstacle course.  As I watched, I feared that should we actually face "Doomsday," we're going to have to leave G behind.  Poor kid.  We all got our picture taken together (on a green screen, which is why G looks so weird.  His shirt & bink were green... Ruthie too, actually).  They also each got a draw-string backpack with a bunch of temp tattoos (all soaking wet) and 2 can coozies each!  I was beyond excited for the swag.  Coozies keep my DC extra cold.  Since my one always ends up in the car, I am excited to now have five at my disposal.

2 comments:

Kaley said...

"(Note: It's not as cute when my baby humans do this)"

Haha! You're hilarious!

i'm the wife said...

Don't leave G behind!