Wednesday, July 10, 2013

The Royal Baby

Today on the radio, they were talking royal baby names.  I only heard part of it because my own little babies were making a ruckus in the back seat.  (Mostly demanding "More firetruck!"... which means he wants "I See a Firetruck" on the Little People cd.  There's really only so much of that song that I can take.)

Well, they announced on the radio that bookmakers are calling "George" the favorite name if Will & Kate have a boy.  Another news article I just read said the favorite is "James."  Can I just say that all morning I have been saying a silent prayer that this little baby is a girl?  Is it selfish of me to not want my son's name to become the new trendy name??  We like the name "George" regardless of its popularity... but I think something we like about it is that it is a common name (ie- people can pronounce and spell it and our son will not have to explain it) but it isn't very popular.

Do I sound ridiculous, fellow mommies?  Did anyone else put this much thought into naming their child??

4 comments:

Kaley said...

I hate to break it to you, babe, but naming your kids old man names is already trendy... But I can understand your feeling, and I wouldn't want that either.

Alex said...

haha you're so funny. We didn't think about names that much, but I can see your point. Then people might ask if you named your kid after the royal baby even though yours obviously came first!

Kathleen said...

I don't think naming a child a traditional, family name is trendy. "Little Old Man Names" are really just traditional or classics, right? I looked at the top 100 baby names and traditional names are nowhere near as popular as made up names.

And Alex, I saw today and couples who have recently had babies in the UK are literally holding off on naming their babies until after they know the name of the royal baby! In the UK, they have 60 days to name their baby! How ridiculous is that??

Kaley said...

I, admittedly, do not spend a whole lot of time studying baby trends. So you may be right. I've just heard of lots of older names lately, which I think kinda goes in waves. For instance, I don't know any Georges or Henrys my age, but I've heard of several people my age naming their kids names along those lines...maybe it just skipped our generation. No matter what, you can always hold onto the fact that your child's traditional name does not have a ridiculous spelling. Which is always something to respect. No Jorj for you!