Friday, March 22, 2013

Thoughts on Birth

I have been reading a lot of birth stories lately.  Seriously, everyone who has had a baby in the last 6 months has posted their birth story this week.  I haven't posted Ruth's birth story... for a reason.  It's very personal... and kind of sad... and really scary.  I have shared it with people when asked... but I don't care to post it.  I am going to write it in my journal... but not on my blog.

I am a little jealous of the perfect birth stories I have read, but also I am so happy for my friends who have had perfect birthing experiences.  That being said, not all birthing experiences are perfect.  Even though both of my pregnancies have been by the book, and I have felt great the entire time, that last part (the birth) is the most important part... and the part that I apparently can't get right.  I am grateful for the many choices available for child birth.  And I think that women should research them all and do what makes them comfortable.  For me, I am so grateful for doctors and hospitals and modern medicine, without which, my babies may not have made it.  Both of my birthing experiences (and subsequent time spent in the hospital...) were as pleasant as they could be given the circumstances.  The staff was polite and respected my wishes.  I was comfortable in my hospital room.  And really, it's not about my comfort at all... it's about what my babies needed.  And my babies received the help that they desperately needed immediately... as in, without delay.

So, without trying to scare anyone.... while home births and birthing centers are popular these days, there are a lot of unknowns in child birth.  I am grateful that I gave birth in a hospital.  Obviously that's the route that I am forced to take from here on out, but if I were to go back and choose again, I would still choose the hospital.  And I don't feel bad about it.

2 comments:

Trina said...

We think the same here - there were moments with both of ours that they wouldn't have made it in good health without the monitoring and help they give at the hospital - definitely a blessing I gave birth there!!! I think it's cool to read about those home births though... as long as everything goes perfectly it makes a good story and experience I am sure! But... mine wouldn't have ended well.

Lisa & Joel said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm a hospital go-er as well. I have heard a lot of stories all sorts of ways, as all of us mommies have, and at the end of the day, a mommy needs to do what's best for HER family.