Monday, December 17, 2012

Officially Two Years!

I was supposed to finish these posts last week, on George's actual birthday!  That was my intention... but the reality is that we were just having too much fun!  That's the way it should be, right??

Two years ago (last week--on the 8th), I woke up from my narcotic-induced heavenly sleep to worsening contractions!  The labor had not progressed much over night (probably because of the pain meds), so the doctor had me walk the halls.

A few hours later, the doctor broke my water.  The first thing I yelled after that was "I NEED AN EPIDURAL!"  The doctor said, "You didn't have an epidural??" and then looked at the nurses and said, "Why didn't she get an epidural??"  They told him that I didn't want one.  They were right, but that was while my water was still in tact.  Once my water broke, the pain intensified by about a million and I was really regretting that decision.  Luckily, George was born about an hour later at 1:15pm.  He was 5 lb 13 oz and 18 1/2" long.

They whisked him into the corner and he was surrounded by about 10 people.  I saw Steve go over and watch and give him a blessing.  I didn't know what was going on.  Then, they went to rush him out of the room.  My mother in law said, "Does the mommy get to see her baby??" and, almost as an afterthought, they shoved him in my face for a second and ran him out the door.

I didn't get to see him for a few hours, but Steve brought pictures back from the NICU.  It was two long days before I got to hold him.  He was home from the NICU in 10 days, which felt like the longest 10 days of my life (up to that point... little did I know how short that amount of time really was).  He came home from the hospital on December 18 and it was a great little family Christmas with just the 3 of us!



That 5 lb 13 oz baby grew and grew and grew!  He grew and now he is 2 years old and 32 lbs!  We sang to him over pancakes (his favorite breakfast) and opened presents.  We had a great family day at the zoo!  I can't believe he is 2 years old!  I don't know where the time has gone!  We sure do love this crazy little boy!



No comments: