Friday, December 30, 2011

Buffalo Mac & Cheese!

So, I go in waves--either I'm cooking all the time or I'm cooking never.  Well, this week I'm cooking up a storm.. and it's been (mostly) delicious!

Last night I made Buffalo Mac.  I got the recipe from my stepmom after commenting on a Buffalo Chicken Dip that someone made at a party.  Wow.  It was (is) delicious.  This recipe can feed a small army.... so have lots of people over or be prepared to eat it for lunch and dinner the next day!

  • 1 lb. fusilli or rotini
  • 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 2 celery ribs, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 T. butter
  • 3 T. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp. dry mustard
  • 2 1/2 c. 2% milk
  • 1/2 c. Frank's RedHot Buffalo Wing Sauce
  • 8 oz. sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 3/4 c. crumbled blue cheese
  • 1/2 c. plain bread crumbs
  1. Cook pasta according to directions, drain.
  2. Season chicken with 1 tsp paprika and salt.  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat.  Brown chicken (3-5 min), until cooked through; set aside.  Lower heat to medium.  Add celery to same skillet; saute 4 minutes.  Add garlic; cook 1 to 2 minutes.  Set aside with chicken.
  3. In saucepan (not skillet), melt 3 T. butter over medium heat.  Sprinkle in flour and mustard powder, whisking for 2 minutes.  Pour in milk and sauce, whisking until it boils.  Simmer 3 minutes.  Remove from heat; stir in cheddar, 1/2 c. blue cheese and remaining tsp of paprika
  4. Add pasta, celery, garlic and chicken.  Place in a broiler-safe dish.
  5. Microwave remaining tablespoon (I used 2 T) butter for 30 seconds, stir in breadcrumbs.  Sprinkle over dish.  Sprinkle last 1/4 c. blue cheese.  Broil 2-3 minutes or until browned.
Delicious!  I just had it again for lunch.  Yum!


1 comment:

Domanique said...

I have to wait a few months to make this, Derek is buffalo anything out. There was a month where everything had buffalo in it. I am def. a huge buffalo fan! And I am so looking forward to making this. You need to take a picture so I can pin it....