Monday, August 24, 2009

How to Make People Feel Bad for Begging:

I had to run to the drug store unexpectedly last night. When it was my turn to pay, I realized that I didn't have my debit card!! Instead, all I had was a check! I asked the pharmacist (who was checking me out because they were busy) if I could write a check. He said, "Umm.. sure. $1."

I wrote a check for $1. How embarrassing is it that I didn't even have enough change to pay $1?!

But it gets better... I was in a shady part of town and when I was getting back into my car, a shady-looking man asked me if I had $1 so he could catch the last bus of the night. I said, "I have no cash, I'm sorry." And he said, "Ma'am, I only need $1." And I said, "Sir, I just wrote a check for $1. I seriously have no cash." And he said "Oh. Sorry to bother you."

I felt bad, so I got in my car and dug around for some change. I found about $1.50 for him.

But if you ever want someone to stop pestering you for money, tell them you had to write a check for $1. Apparently that's pathetic enough to make them feel bad for asking you for money.

1 comment:

Jordan said...

wow. I liked this story. I bet he felt pretty dumb.