Wednesday, July 25, 2012

A Pain in the Hiney

When I was pregnant with George, an anesthesiologist came to our birthing class to make us feel "more at ease" with the idea of an epidural.  He showed us the needle and how it works.  Well, the needle was waaaaay too big for my liking.  Instead of feeling better about an epidural, I decided that night that I 100% did not want an epidural.

So I had George without an epidural.  Really, it was only unbearable for the last hour before he was born... and then it was such a relief to push.  And my pushing was more effective because I could feel what I was doing, so I only pushed for about 15-20 minutes.  It wasn't too bad of an experience, so I will likely have this baby without an epidural. (But really, if it gets too bad too early, give me the drugs!)

But anyway, this post isn't about epidural or no epidural... it's about needles.  And the joke is on me.  See, about 80% of the reason that I didn't get an epidural was the needle.  I couldn't get that image out of my head.

Well, today, "Project:  Prevent Another Preemie" commenced.  I got my first shot of progesterone to keep this baby girl inside until she's strong enough to be born.  No, I was not in pre-term labor... this is preventative at this point.  But let me show you what it looks like: 


A giant needle in my hiney.  I'm talking a 2" needle all the way down to my muscle (or, you know, whatever I have down there where my muscle should be).  So there should be no way that we have a repeat of this:


No, not the kid--we love the kid.  We don't love the tubes and wires.  And really, he wasn't even as bad as all of the tubes and wires make him look.

So the shot itself didn't hurt as much as I anticipated.  I guess when I have built things up in my head for the last 20 weeks, it can't possibly be as bad as I built it up to be.  I got all sweaty after and had to lay down for about 15 minutes.  It was fine all the way home, but now I have a pain radiating from my butt.  I mean, it really hurts.

But I just need to keep telling myself that this will be cheaper, both financially and emotionally in the end! (No pun intended)

2 comments:

Melody said...

sheesh! How often do you have to get the shot?

Kathleen said...

Once a week until I'm about 36 weeks! Today's shot was better... I took a nap right after it, so I wasn't nearly as sore as I was last week. Maybe it's because I was laying down after? The injection spot hurts today... and it didn't last week. Oh well, it's all for the baby, so I need to stop being a baby :)